New Season / New Parent Orientation FAQ
There is a ton of information on this website including additional FAQs.
If you have any questions about this information you can ask your coach or reach out to other Waterloo parents. We have a wonderful group of parents and they are a great resource.
PRE-MEET AND MEET REGISTRATION
How come some people seem to know everything that’s going on but I’m always having to ask questions?
What is Team Unify?
Our year round program will provide a positive environment for your child to learn and grow. When you register for lessons, we hold that spot for you every week. If a change is needed, please let us know and we will do our best to make that happen, based on availability. We do ask that you limit your changes to four times per year.
For children, we recommend once per week lessons. Consistent attendance and repetition in the lessons are crucial for success. Of course children attend more than once per week, but it is not critical for their learning to swim.
What events should I register my swimmer for?
What do I bring to a meet?
Does my child have to show up for warm-up if their event is several hours later in the meet?
What are the different time standards and what are the used for?
Should I register my swimmer for every meet?
AT THE MEET
What is circle-in or positive check-in?
Some distance events (typically 400IM, 400/500Free, 800/1000Free, 1500/1650Free) require the swimmer indicate if they are indeed swimming that event on the day of the event. This is done by circling or initialing next to their name on a list posted on deck in the morning of the day that event is scheduled. Why is this required? It helps the admin create a true heat sheet for the sake of filling all lanes and potentially saving time in the meet. There is always a deadline time to circle-in/positive check-in which is typically in the morning during or shortly after warm-up. It is a good idea to do this as soon as you get to the pool so you don’t forget after warm up. The meet information will say what the deadline time is. Do not rely on the coach or another teammate to do it. And…it’s usually on deck so the parent cannot get to the table to do it. It is 100% the swimmer’s responsibility.
Why do I need to be a timer?
What is a Chase Start or Flyover Start?
What is a Finals Only Event?
What else is different about distance events?
What if something external happened to cause my swimmer to mess up, miss or get DQ’d from their race?
Some examples are:
- The timer made a mistake and told them not to swim or to swim early
- The speaker on their block wasn’t working
- There was a flash or loud noise that caused the swimmers to startle or pause
- The starter called out the wrong event/heat
What are time trials?
Why can’t I go on deck just to talk to my child for a minute?
What is the difference between a Finals meet and a Prelim/Finals or championship meet?
What is the difference between A and B Finals?
How do I know if my child made the Finals?
What are Finals Alternates?
What is a swim-off?
Does my child have to swim Finals?
Does my child have to show up for Finals if they are an alternate?
How do I scratch from Finals?
Why can’t I scratch my own child from finals?
What if I don’t show up to Finals?
What if my child gets sick/injured before Finals?
Inform your coach immediately if your child is unable to swim in the Finals due to an illness or injury. The coach may be able to talk with the meet director and work something out. Do not no show or you will be held responsible for the consequences.
When can I leave a meet?
How do I know if my swimmer got DQ’d and what they got DQ’d for?
GENERAL Q & A
How can I look up my swimmer’s official times?
- Deck Pass is the official app of USA Swimming and holds all your child’s times achieved in sanctioned USAS meets. There are other neat features in that app as well. It is free with your registration. Deck Pass Plus has a small one time fee with a few more features.
- Meet Mobile is the real time app that is used by most swim meets to post real time results. It will show you meet results for past meets but most effective on the current meet. It will also display the heat sheet (most of the time) so you don’t have to print it out. There is a small annual fee for this app.
- Imswimmer.com is a website created by a local swimmer that stores all your child’s best times and how far away they are from the next cut. It will quickly become your favorite tool! There are other bells and whistles in this tool as well. This is free.
- Other apps or websites….there are many so you just need to find what works best for you.